Monday, January 31, 2011

She Got Me!

Today Ava and I were reading about how the sun works and we came to a page explaining that the sun is made up of hydrogen and helium. It discussed the atoms in the gasses and how the hydrogen actually becomes helium.
Ava knows a little bit about atoms from things we've discussed so she was asking which things have atoms. The conversation went like this:
Me: There are atoms in everything!
Ava: Not EVERYTHING though.
Me: Yes! Everything!
Ava: Hair?
Me: Yes.
Ava: Concrete?
Me: Yes.
Ava: A swimming pool?
Me. Yup!
Ava: Blood?
Me: Yes, EVERYTHING.
Ava: (Giggling and amused) No...I'm gonna trick you. It can't be everything.
Me: You can't trick me. Atoms are in everything.
Ava: In my hand?
Me: Yes.
Ava: In other planets?
Me: Yes.
Ava: In our floor?
Me: Yes.
Ava: In the air?
Me: Yes, can I continue reading now, Ava? Atoms are in EVERYTHING.
Ava: (As I begin to read again). Mom, I know what doesn't have atoms in it....
Me: (With my I-know-more-than-you-because-I'm-the-mom-grin) What....
Ava: An atom.

1 comment: